It's an apple season! I recently went to Trader Joe's for my version of city "apple-picking," and I got this big bag of apples for like less than $5. #YAS! I was looking for different ways to use apples in more creative ways, and it finally hit me. Let's add them in my pasta!
Feeling adventurous, I cubed sweet, crisp gala apples and tossed them together with my pasta. I was a little bit skeptical at first, but they were AMAZING! These apples added not only great crunchy textures but also sweet flavors to the dish. I turned up the volume by cooking vegetables with bacon fats (because everything is better with bacon!). When I had a big forkful of pasta with salty bacon and sweet apples, my mouth was burst out with crunchy, delicious flavors!
I made my homemade pesto with a blend of kale, basil, and arugula, but if you buy premade pesto, this dish can be done less than 20 minutes. It's a perfect way to combine a taste of fall with your favorite dish. SO YUMMY!
Prep time: 5 minutes l Cook Time: 15 minutes l Total Time: 20 minutes l Serving: 2
- 1 gala apple, cubed (can be replaced by any types of apples that sweet and crunchy like Honeycrisp or Fuji)
- 2 strips of bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium summer squash, sliced
- 1/2 medium zucchini, sliced (I used two different kinds to make the dish more colorful, but it's okay to use just 1 zucchini.)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 pound regular spaghetti
- 1/4 cup of pasta water
- 1/2 cup of pesto (either homemade, or store-bought)
- Put cubed apple into a tossing bowl.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, put chopped bacon and render the bacon fat. Cook them until they get crispy. Fish them out and set them aside separately from the chopped apple.
- Add garlic, summer squash, and zucchini into the bacon fat and sautée for 5 minutes until they are translucent. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper, and put them into a bowl with the cubed apple.
- Cook spaghetti as the package direction says. Reserve a little bit of pasta water and drain the pasta. Put it into the tossing bowl with the apple and sauteed vegetables.
- Add the reserved pasta water in the tossing bowl and stir everything with pesto.
- Top the dish with reserved crispy bacon.